Skip to main content
Twixt Branding

Return to search

Charles Tyerman

Date of birth: 1892
Date of death: 09.10.1917
Area: Outwood, Wakefield
Regiment: York and Lancaster
Family information: Husband of Florence Louisa Tyerman nee Leach
Rank: Private
Service number: 204563

War Service

On 8th March 1917, he enlisted in the army joining the York and Lancaster regiment. After initial training in England, Private Charles Tyerman was drafted to the 1/5th Battalion, York and Lancaster Regiment.
On 14th April 1915, the 1/5th Battalion, York and Lancaster Regiment, a Territorial Force, landed at Boulogne. The Battalion was to become part of the 148th Brigade, 49th (West Riding) Division. In December 1915, the 49th Division was deployed in Flanders, when subjected to an enemy attack, where Phosgene Gas was used for the first time. At the Battle of the Somme in 1916, the 49th Division was deployed at Albert, Bazentin Ridge, Pozieres Ridge and Flers-Courcelette.
In 1917 the 49th Division had been transferred to the Channel coast, to take part in Operation Hush. The proposed assault along the coast, in support of an amphibious landing, was subsequently cancelled. On 24th September the 49th Division was transferred to the Second Army and immediately commenced training in the new assault techniques. The Division was to be deployed to the third Battle of Ypres.
On 9th October the 49th Division was deployed to attack on a two brigade front, with the 148th Brigade charged with the task of taking the Bellevue Spur and occupying the Passchendaele Ridge. The strongest enemy defences were centred on the high point of the Bellevue Spur. The 1/5th York & Lancs, on the left of the 148th Brigade front, was to capture the first objective and allow the 1/5th KOYLI to pass through to attack the second objective.
Early on the 9th October, the 1/5th York & Lancs made their way in single file to their assembly positions, 500 yards into “No Man’s Land”. At zero hour the advance began but was soon held up at the Ravebeek stream, which was now over 50 yards wide and very deep in places. The delay resulted in the 1/5th Battalion losing the barrage. Despite heavy enemy fire from Bellevue and Wolf Copse, the battalion succeeded in reaching their objective. By 06.00 hrs the battalion was established in the first objective, but there was no sign of the 1/5th KOYLI, who were scheduled to pass through and attack the second objective. The 1/5th York & Lancs was ordered to continue the advance as far as possible, towards the ridge. Some platoons were seen to reach the ridge near the line of Pill-boxes, but were not heard from again. By 09.30 hrs all forward movement had come to a halt and men had to dig-in along the original British front line, wherever they could find cover. They remained in their positions, under fire from enemy artillery, machine guns and snipers, until relieved during the evening of 10th October.
Private Charles Tyerman was killed in action on 9th October 1917, but he was lost to the battlefield and has no known grave. His name is recorded on the Tyne Cot Memorial to the missing, which contains the names of almost 35,000 officers and men, who died on the Ypres Salient, after 16th August 1917 and who have no known grave.

Family Life

Born in 1892, Charles Tyerman, sometimes Tyreman, was the son of Benjamin and Mary Amanda Tyerman of the Parish of Foggathorpe. His father, Benjamin, was a journeyman joiner and wheelwright, which resulted in the family moving to various locations in East Yorkshire. At the time of the 1901 census the Tyreman family was living at Escrick, near York. On leaving school, Charles Tyerman also found employment as a joiner and wheelwright, working for Mr H Scaife of Escrick. On 26th July 1915 Charles Tyerman married Florence Louisa Leach at York Registry Office. Florence Louisa was the daughter of Sergeant Newman, deceased, who had been on military duties at Lofthouse Park.
On 4th December 1915, when living at Cemetery Road, York, Charles Tyerman attested for the Army Service Corps. A week later, on 11th December, after a medical at Woolwich, he was considered not likely to become an efficient soldier and discharged.
At this time, Charles Tyerman moved to Outwood and obtained work as a waggon repairer at Lofthouse Colliery.

Tyne Cot Memorial Tyne Cot Memorial

Return to search